Monday, March 2, 2009

Updates and Opinions

Hi everyone! I have been such a bad blogger...LOL...very busy with school right now. The good news is that I am almost through the long stretch and on to other things. So, not as much painting as before but still managing to get to it.

Original ACEO by Lizardo Off The TrailOff The Trail
Original ACEO by Lizardo

My latest ACEO, pictured above, is titled Off The Trail. It could mean different things. To me, it just means that sometimes you have to start looking around off the trail to find what you want. I have to be honest this is inspired by reading the Etsy forums. I think that there is a certain point in every shop where you realize you have to look outside of Etsy for support and promotion. Since there are so many of us, it is easy to get lost in the crowd. It is business and that is okay.

I really like to study small business and entrepreneurship. If you start reading the statistics for new businesses, you will see that Etsy is really on par with all of that. The majority of shops that open will never do anything. There are a few people that will do really well. Others might piddle around for a while and eventually give up. This is not Etsy's fault. This is the business world.


I know I don't sound compassionate at all. But I am being realistic. I am seeing demands to see the marketing plan of Etsy and I think it is ridiculous. For starters, I don't think it is practical to have that info in the hands of hundreds of thousands of people that may or may not be with Etsy while this is being implemented.

The good thing about these forums is that I am able to see some needs that I can fill. That is how you start a business. Find a need and fill it. The forums are full of needs. And I have some ideas on how to fill them. More on that later...

My next big project is actually for myself and my boyfriend. I have been wanting to do a huge painting similar to the sizes you would see in an art museum. The only thing stopping me was the lack of skills making frames. So I did find the stretcher bars that I wanted online and everything will be started soon. I'm thinking spring break will be a good time to start this project. Of course I will keep everyone posted because it will take quite a while. I should apologize in advance to Ben because I will be taking over the front part of the living room.

All right, ya'll, time for school work. I'll talk to you soon!

::Liz::

1 comment:

Angie said...

I look forward to your ideas and feedback.